Chartex covers all aspects of commercial property including building surveys, dilapidations, property management, valuations, & rent reviews.
Acting for landlords we:
- Prepare and serve Notices of Repair
- Provide a preliminary assessment of the existence and likely size of a claim and advise on the appropriate strategy for its execution
- Prepare a priced schedule of defects and statement of claim
- Negotiate the settlement of the claim with the tenant's surveyor
Dilapidations is a term which covers a breach of covenant to repair a building or a part of a building included in a lease.
Acting for tenants we:
- Carry out a preliminary assessment of the potential dilapidations liability of a leasehold interest prior to its acquisition.
- Provide an opinion on whether proposed repairing and reinstatement obligations are reasonable.
- Limit the tenants repairing obligations by preparing a written and photographic schedule of condition and agreeing this with the landlord's surveyor.
- Challenging and negotiating the settlement of the landlord's dilapidations claim, and/or alternatively arranging for the carrying out of relevant repairs.
Landlords will usually issue a tenant with a schedule of dilapidations shortly before or immediately following lease expiry. These schedules are known as a terminal schedule of dilapidations and will detail, the breaches of lease covenant, the disrepair that the landlord considers to exist, the work that the landlord believes is required under the term of the lease to remedy the breaches of covenant and the cost of that work.